What Can You Do While Waiting On A Tow Truck?Share
Even if your car is well-maintained, it is possible that you can experience a breakdown that requires the aid of a tow truck to get it to the mechanic's. Unfortunately, while you are waiting for the truck, you are vulnerable to various dangers. To help keep you and your car safe, here are some things you can do while waiting on the tow truck to arrive.
- Move your car. Simply driving onto the shoulder of the road is not enough. You need to ensure that your car is visible to other drivers. If you are parked in a less visible area, such as inside the curve of the road, your car could get hit by another.
- Use your emergency brake. Even if your brakes are not the cause for your mechanical failure, you need engage your emergency brake. If the brakes do experience a failure, the car could start to roll into the roadway and cause an accident.
- Turn on the hazard lights. The hazard lights help to alert other drivers that your car is experiencing a breakdown. If the battery is dead, you need to place a white cloth outside the window to alert other drivers to steer clear of your car.
- Collect your valuables. Once the driver arrives, you need to have everything valuable together and ready to go. Not only does the driver have other customers waiting, but you will undoubtedly be ready to leave.
- Remain in your car. Once you exit your car, you are vulnerable to the elements, including dangerous people. If you stay in your car, you can roll up the windows and lock the doors to prevent someone from entering.
- Exit from the passenger side. If you do decide you need to leave your car, always exit from the passenger side. When you exit from the driver's side, you are at risk of being hit by a passing car.
- Know the tow truck driver. When you do call for a tow, ask for the driver's name and a description of him or her and the truck. Do not open the doors of your car to any driver who does not fit the description offered.
If you feel concerned about the area in which you are stranded at any time, do not hesitate to contact local law enforcement. You can even contact the tow truck company again and ask the dispatcher to contact the police on your behalf. For more information and tips, speak with a local auto towing company.